Friday, July 19, 2013

Not Conquering My Fears

Yesterday, well, yesterday was a horrid day (I do not exaggerate).
It started out just perfect. It was the last day of our family vacation. Everyone rolled out of bed as late as our children would allow,7:30. It's better than 6:30. It's the little things in life. As the old folks creaked and cracked down the long, wooden stairs and continued the zombie walk to the nearest outlet of caffeine we poured our cups and headed outside to absorb as much ocean breeze as possible. When the clock rang 10 we jumped into action. Cleaning the house and packing all the cars. The last counter, the last load of laundry, the last bike loaded was done at 11:45. 15 minutes before we needed to vacate the premises. Since no one wanted to re-enter reality, we stopped at the local museum to pet the fishies and dig up some sea shells. It was really a great time to see all the kids oohing and ahhing over the fish and sea creatures. As soon as we finished there, we headed over to the local snack shack to snag some corndogs. As we sat in the shade, taking in our last breath of the crisp, sea air, we said our bitter sweet goodbyes to all the cousins. my kids cried, so my sister bribed them with Starburst for smooches and hugs.
The car ride was quick and quiet. It took only 4 minutes for the boys to fall asleep. Once I arrived back in my home town, I was automatically welcomed by the heat and garlic smells of Garlic City. I actually missed it.
Everything was running smooth at home. The boys were sleeping, so I pured myself an ice coffee and dove into the unloading process. I couldn't believe I actually unloaded my car on the same day that I arrived home. That never happens.
I made my first home cooked meal for just 4 people. I was so used to cooking for a herd of children that I still placed 8 plates on the table. (sigh) I already missed the beach.
It was still so hot in Garlic City, at 6:30, so the boys and I ate in the backyard. My husband wasn't home from work yet so we all sat at the kids table.
While the kids finished up their dinner and dessert I decided it was a good time to clean up the yard. I started to put all the toys in a pile on the lawn so I could rinse off the porch.
And that is when it happened. The horrid part of my perfect day had started. I pulled a crate away from the wall of the house and I heard the dreaded rip of a spider web. If you live in California, you know that rip of the spider web does not belong to a harmless house spider but to the dreaded Black Widow Queen!
I wanted to scream, cry, freak out, but I couldn't. My children were just playing next to her sticky home and I had to do something about it. Everyone, everything is always welcomed at my house, just not her. With one bite, a Black Widow could send my children to the hospital and could even be life threatening for my youngest son. I grabbed my 2 sons and ran into the house. I told them that the day would be special because they could have extra ice cream and watch a movie because I did not want them outside anymore. The boys sat there on the coach as happy as ever enjoying their treats.
I knew I had to do something. I sat their holding my youngest thinkinh, my husband is not home to squoosh the dreaded she-monster and by the time he gets home she might have moved on. I had to do something.
I had to face the biggest fear in my life in and do something about it.
Now you might think I'm being dramatic. It's just a bug, get over it. It is not only my female fear of all things creepy and crawly (well yes it is), it is something more than that. That small midnight black creature is a force not to mess with. The minuscule creature could, in one bite, threaten the life of my children. NO ONE threatens my children and gets away with it. I had to do something. I had to grab the bull by the horn, swallow my fear and get the threat away from my children.
I first needed to gear up for the battle the would rage between a mother guarding her young and the midnight mistress threatening to harm them..
I put on a long sleeve shirt, jeans and my zebra print, rain boots (they are fabulous). I went to the kitchen and put my cleaning gloves and my husbands construction goggles on ( I was a site). I was ready. I grabbed the spider poison and headed for the backyard. I stood by the back door for what seemed like forever. I said a prayer to St. Francis (patron of animals). I asked him to help me to be brave and courageous.
I walked out my back door and turned around because the monster was hiding under the lip of the sliding door! I just started spraying.I sprayed for ever. All I was doing was coating her think fortress with poison. I started to panic. I was not about to engage her on her home turf. After another 5 minutes she, finally, fell to the floor. She was coming toward me. I froze! I couldn't move. She was getting closer. I had to do something. The spray was not working. She was too strong. I thought of my children. I had to keep them safe. My adrenaline was surging. I was shaking. I had to kill her once and for all. As she crept closer, my motherly instinct kicked it. I crushed her with my beloved zebra print, rain boots. She was so big that I heard a pop. I yelled and squealed as I repeatedly jump on her corps.
Normally, Black Widows are no bigger than a grape. She was not. Her whole being was as big as a silver dollar. Her body the size of a cherry pit. She was the biggest I have ever seen and she was gone. My children were safe. I could rest assure that she would not come for them as they played innocently with their toys.
I was still shaking from the adrenaline. I stripped down to my underwears and ran inside to the shower. I didn't care if the whole neighborhood saw me. My clothes are still on the ground outside. I had to get the fear off of me.
Once the ordeal was over I just sat on the couch with my kids, still shaken from the battle that had just ensued.
My oldest son asked me what was wrong. I said nothing and kissed him on the forehead.

The fear that I have for Her will never go away. I will always squealed and jump whenever I come across her dark fortress. This is one fear that I am OK with not ever getting over. The fear not only for the black beast but for the safety of my children. And I will always do anything for them, to insure the safety of their being.
-G

No comments:

Post a Comment